Newcastle United vs Man United: Newcastle United invites Manchester United to St. James’ Park for a fixture they have always had the best in recent years.
It’s been a difficult place for the Manchester side to move to in recent years, which is not what they need after recent results. For the men of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, this match will be about undoing the harm caused to Tottenham Hotspur by the 6-1 defeat.
Here’s all the crucial details ahead of the kickoff so you can make some well-informed betting choices.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has had two soul-searching weeks to reflect on Manchester United’s dismal 6-1 capitulation against Tottenham at Old Trafford. He simply cannot afford to see further points fall by the wayside against Newcastle this weekend.
The Red Devils have been slow off the mark this season with the club currently 16th in the Premier League table, but that does not paint the entire picture. A thrashing at the hands of former boss Jose Mourinho has rubbed salt in the wounds and called into question Solskjaer’s tenure.
The Norwegian will now be desperate to respond with a result and a positive performance on Tyneside. But, where Man Utd have been erratic and unpredictable this season, Newcastle have been somewhat stable and relatively consistent.
Wins over West Ham and Burnley have been augmented by a tidy point away at Spurs, but Steve Bruce does not have a faultless record this term, overseeing an unconvincing 3-0 loss to Brighton. He will be hoping that result was a mere blip and not part of a wider problem.
Newcastle United possible starting lineup:
Darlow; Manquillo, Hayden, Lascelles, Fernandez, Lewis; Saint-Maximin, Shelvey, Hendrick, Joelinton; Wilson
Manchester United possible starting lineup:
De Gea; Wan-Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw; Pogba, McTominay; Greenwood, Fernandes, Rashford; Ighalo
Key betting facts
- Newcastle have won two of their last three Premier League home games against Man Utd (L1), more than they had in their previous 13 against them at St James’ Park (W1 D3 L9).
- Manchester United lost this exact fixture 0-1 last season, they’ve not lost back-to-back away league games against Newcastle since December 1987.
- This is the first time Newcastle are facing Manchester United in a Premier League game while above them in the table since December 2013, when they won 1-0 at Old Trafford.
- Newcastle have had fewer shots on target than any other side in the Premier League this season (8). However, they’ve netted six goals, meaning they’ve scored with a league-high 75% of their attempts on target so far this term.
- Manchester United have shipped 11 Premier League goals so far this season, with only West Bromwich Albion (13) conceding more. It’s the second most the Red Devils have ever conceded three games into a league season, after 1930-31 (13).
- After a 14-game unbeaten run to finish the 2019-20 season, Man Utd have lost two of their three Premier League games so far this season. They’ve not lost as many as three of their opening four league games in a campaign since 1986-87.
- Away from home, Manchester United have won their last five Premier League matches, scoring at least twice each time. The Red Devils have never won six consecutive top-flight away matches while scoring more than once in each game.
- 17% of Manchester United’s Premier League goals since the start of last season have come from the penalty spot (12/71), the highest ratio among all clubs to have played in both campaigns.
- Callum Wilson has scored four goals in his first four Premier League games for Newcastle, the only player to score as many as five in their first five for the club was Loïc Rémy back in October 2013.