Job Title: Gender and Social Inclusion (GESI) Specialist
Locations: Adamawa and Bauchi
Start Date: June, 2021
Reports To: The State Lead in the respective state
Coordinate Closely With: The GESI Advisor in the main project office (in Bauchi).
- The purpose of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State2State”) Activity is to increase the accountability, transparency and effectiveness of selected states and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria.
- This will be achieved by: strengthening governance systems (with a focus on public financial management [PFM] and procurement, as well as monitoring and evaluation) related to the delivery of services in key sectors (basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation and hygiene [WASH]); increasing government responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities; and improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation and reconciliation with the same sectoral partners, not stand-alone assistance to the police or judiciary).
- State2State will achieve this purpose by facilitating the strengthening of subnational governance systems in a sustainable manner, supporting the efforts of local reformers and building on locally derived solutions including, to the extent possible, reforms already working in other parts of Nigeria.
The GESI Specialists will support the design and implementation of GESI advocacy, integration, and engagement activities in Adamawa or Bauchi, with cross-cutting support to other states as needed.
- The GESI Specialist will collaborate with the GESI Advisor and partner organizations to ensure integration of GESI interventions into state-level program activities. Using gender institutionalization methods, GESI Specialists will collaborate on GESI assessments, activity design, and implementation.
- S/he will be responsible for integrating gender-based indicators into programs across key sectors.
- S/he will be involved in guiding state-level Transformation Committees (TCs) in designing and operationalizing gender plans.
- GESI Specialist will explore how to expand women’s participation in TCs and will contribute to gender dimensions for each sector in which the project works.
- S/he will contribute to measuring gender-related TC reform impacts.
- S/he will help states access and translate Nigeria’s latest reform knowledge to fit local conditions.
- S/he will be responsible for collecting and sharing capacities and knowledge with the GESI Advisor and with peers in other states.
- S/he will contribute to program activities such as gender budgeting training for finance ministries and civil society organizations (CSOs), and strengthening mechanisms for women’s participation in budget, service delivery, and policy decisions at the state and local government levels.
- GESI Specialist will support partner institutions and CSOs to study the impact of governance and service reforms on women. They will build the skills of women’s groups to contribute to local government activities, provide feedback, and monitor follow-up.
- A relevant Degree in Social Sciences, Gender Studies, Development Studies or relevant field required. Master’s degree preferable.
- At least nine (9) years professional experience, with at least five (5) years of demonstrated experience in designing appropriate interventions to meet project goals in assisting vulnerable populations, including women and the disadvantaged
- Stated experience in working for or with civil society to drive a reform agenda
- Demonstrated effective training, capacity building and coaching skills, networking, interpersonal skills, creative problem solving, conflict, and ethical management skills
- Demonstrable experience in integrating gender into governance programs
- Strong skill set in reporting, monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software (Microsoft Office)
- Fluency in English language.
Application Closing Date
7th May, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV to: [email protected] using "Gender and Social Inclusion (GESI) Specialist and Preferred Location" as the subject of the email.
Note: Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.