Job Title: REACH Field Assistant
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
- REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two INGOs (IMPACT InitiativesandACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT). REACH’s purposeis to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction, and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process.
- REACH facilitates information management for aid actors through three complementary services:
- Need and situation assessments facilitated by REACH teams;
- Situation analysis using satellite imagery;
- Provision of related database and (web)-mapping facilities and expertise.
The REACH Field Assistant shall be responsible for:
- Cover remote data collection and quality assurance
- Local engagement
- Managing enumeration teams
- Cover other field locations and in-person data collection when needed
- Field FLATS support (finance, logistics, administration, and security)
- Any other tasks need to ensure the success of the REACH mission in Nigeria
- Asset management
Managing Field Surveyor Teams:
- The REACH Field Assistant will primarily be leading remote data collection but also lead enumeration teams of up to 10 individuals when needed and be responsible to providing direction, logistical and technical support to the enumerators.
- They will also support the REACH Assessment/GIS Officer/Field Manager/Senior Field Officer as needed; they will directly manage enumeration teams and ensure key informant networks are developed and maintained.
Data Collection and Quality:
- The REACH Field Assistant will primarily be leading remote data collection over the phone. Depending on the needs, they will also cover in-person data collection in various field locations. During remote date collection they are responsible for maintaining a good relation to local guides and other stakeholders in the field.
- In case of in-person data collection they are responsible for ensuring the enumerators are following data collection procedures, conducting monthly trainings on the tool for enumerators and reporting any challenges relating to data collection or quality to the Field Manager.
- They will conduct daily briefings for enumerators to address any problems identified in the email updates from the database unit and Field Manager.
- The REACH Field Assistant will provide FLATS support to the Field Manager by filling and tracking order forms and tracking existing and incoming REACH assets in field locations as needed.
- They will also provide support in organizing movement of REACH teams to and from field locations, identifying accommodations and office space, and liaising with appropriate government authorities to ensure REACH can conduct activities as needed.
- In coordination with the Field Manager, they will manage the hiring process for enumerators and ensure their payments are processed.
- They will in addition ensure proper documentation of working hours for local guides and that their payments are processed.They will communicate challenges relating to FLATS to the Field Manager in a timely manner.
- The REACH Field Assistant will seek to build positive relations with local governments, traditional leaders, Community based organization, partners, and other relevant stakeholders.
- They will follow guidelines from the Field Manager and report challenges to the Senior Field Officer and the Field Manager.
- The REACH Field Assistant will participate in other, undefined tasks that are necessary to support the REACH mission in Nigeria.
Managing Field Surveyor Teams:
- The REACH Field Assistant will support the Field Officer in managing the organization’s assets at the call centers/field during data collection.
Accountability to Communities and Beneficiaries:
- The staff member is responsible for ensuring that all relations with the communities we work are conducted in a respectful and consultative manner.
- Due attention must be paid to ensuring that communities are adequately consulted and informed about ACTED programme objectives, activities, beneficiary selection criteria, and methodologies. This is the responsibility of every ACTED staff member.
Qualifications and Experience
- Qualification: Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in humanitarian or development organizations, preferably in a field-based position
- Willingness and ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced field environment for extended periods of the time required
- Strong skills with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience using ODK for quantitative data collection, or the ability to rapidly master the process
- Experience hiring and managing casual laborers
- Experience conducting focus group discussions, or the ability to learn rapidly
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in IDP settlements an asset
- Spoken fluency in English and Hausa required
- Strong written skills in English, Hausa and Kanuri required
- Spoken Kanuri and other regional languages strongly preferred
- Ability to work independently
- Willingness to cover other locations when needed
- Contract length: 6 Months with possibility of extension
- Level: E1-1 (national contract)
- Start date: As soon as possible Desirable
Application Closing Date
21st May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Important Information and Notice
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to the Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologise for the inconvenience.
- Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- For general information about ACTED, please consult: www.acted.org